Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Michelle's Peony Favourite Poetry Books 2009

Michelle of Peony Moon has a great series running just now: writers with their favourite books of 2009.

Part 5 includes my choices, but not my whys... more on this rumination later. As you can guess, I was hard pushed to actually nail three, never mind six - there are so many great poetry books out there.

If you were stuck for a Christmas present for someone who likes poetry, and wanted to get them something out of the usual for Christmas, you could do a lot worse than browse these lists and google the results. It just shows you there's some mighty fine poetry out there...

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Hope you're having a great birthday, Barbara!

I'd love you to link your ruminations to your choices on peony moon when you get around to posting them.

Rachel Fenton said...

You've got a thing about lists, Barbara!

Dominic Rivron said...

Is it your birthday? Happy birthday.

As for poetry books, I recently bought my mum Mark Doty's Theories and Apparitions. This poem about John Berryman had me rooted to the spot when I first found it in a bookshop. (I mentioned this book on someone's blog somewhere a while ago - apologies if it was here and I'm repeating myself!)

Angela France said...

I am loving the lists - and not loving the realisation of how many good collections I haven't read. I was thrilled you picked mine Barbara - thank you!

JAKI MCCARRICK said...

Happy Birthday my fellow Sagi! I have done one of these 'reads of the year' list things over at mine. Like your choices! Keep well.

Dick said...

Oh, happy birthday, Barbara! Just the right side of Christmas...

A thought. Much as I'd like to select favourites from a burgeoning poetry scene as Christmas presents, many (most?) would still receive slim volumes much as they would receive Homer Simpson socks or jumpers with reindeer on the front. How do we get intelligent readers to take that last small step from lyrical prose to accessible verse?

Unknown said...

Hmm, good question Dick - and not one I can answer either. You either like poetry or you don't... we have to start getting them younger, I think.

Thanks all, very much, for the warm birthday wishes. Michelle, I will post my thoughts as soon as I get a chance!

Liz said...

Barbara, chuffed you mentioned Miracle, thanks ; )
Hope all is well with you.