Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Intimacy of Radio

I did another interview on local radio recently with Harry Lee of Dundalk FM. Before you scoff at the idea of local radio, think of this: through internet technology, this community station (and many, many others) are available to a much wider audience than they are through the wavelength restrictions imposed by their license conditions.

Anyhoo, through the generous help of the wonderful qarrtsiluni, I've been able to get hosting for a recording that I made on Wednesday. To hear the interview/reading click on that link just there. I hope you enjoy the discussion of poetry, life in general and the Irish economic downturn!

7 comments:

Liz said...

Barbara, I thoroughly enjoyed listening in - felt like a fly on the wall at times. Loved the poems and the way the chat kept going
so naturally...good work. : )

Totalfeckineejit said...

Hey B, I really enjoyed the interview and poems da first time 'round so will have another listen,sure ye can't have too much of a gud ting.Life ain't chicken town , keep da faith,thetotalistfeckineejitever! WORD!

Unknown said...

Thanks guys: I think that the 'fly on the wall' element comes from it feeling like I'm just having a chat with Harry: radio is such a cosy medium; you don't feel like you're performing, making it seem natural, like you say, Liz & TFE :)

Kay Cooke said...

Good to touch base again Barbara. A Happy New Year to you. Looks like you have started it off with gusto and in
(I am guessing) your usual energetic fashion! Your verve and vigour leave me breathless girl!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kay, I tell you, I feel anything but energetic lately, can't wait for spring to really start, so as I can get some energy back!

Dominic Rivron said...

Enjoyed listening. I especially enjoyed the calf-feeding poem. I've fed calves and found it both accurate and evocative.

The telly isn't a patch on radio if you ask me. I ought to get into little stations on the internet more. I live in England, but I quite often tune into RTE Radio 1. I don't like the ads and the country music, but I've often caught good things too. It's a funny thing to remember, and a long time ago, but I seem to think they covered the centenary of Hugh MacDiarmid's birth as if it were an important event (which, of course, it was)!

Unknown said...

Thanks for listening Dominic; I'm glad you enjoyed Feeding the Calves. That poem came out as a real surpise to me, I had no idea that it would end up the way it did - they're sometimes the best ones, so I thank the inspiration of W.S. Graham.