Monday, August 13, 2007

Deadlines and deadlines

Douglas Adams is said to have had a great quote about deadlines:

I love deadlines. I especially love the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by.

Absolutely. Deadlines of my own making mean nothing to anybody else, especially the six brats here. I am simultaneously trying to edit the manuscript of Kairos and send it to Kerry, write something decent for an assignment due on Friday, think about what wonderful work I will have to conjure from nine months of writing notebooks for an end of course assessment, whilst pulling various aged children off each other, keeping the peace, refereeing their latest squabbles, and also going through their school book lists and uniform lists to see what I've forgotten and make/buy ingredients for dinner(breakfast, lunch).

I must also remember to think of an interesting and unusual birthday gift for my partner, who is up to his oxters in quotes for a business plan that is a sink or swim proposal for his workplace. Suggestions at a reasonable price would be appreciated!

Sometimes I think I'd be better off living life in the Artic circle, venturing forth to cut a hole in the ice and fish every once in a while. At least you couldn't complain about the cold.

13 comments:

Gatepost productions said...

It's how you catch a polar bear.

You cut a hole in the ice, and sprinkle frozen peas around it.

When the bear bends down for a pea you kick it in the icehole.

Build yerself a blogcabin!

Unknown said...

telmis said: '...you kick it in the icehole...' now that sounds a bit suspect to me...!

A blogcabin, where no-one can bother me - at the bottom of the icehole! ;)

Unknown said...

Easy life. I've GOT to go to the pub every day!

Unknown said...

Oi, I heard that!

david santos said...

I come to be thankful to you for the work that you have developed in yours blogue and to desire good vacations to you.

Unknown said...

Thank you David, I looked at your blog and it looks amazing. Best of luck to you on your travels too.

Kay Cooke said...

All that chaos - urm, I mean busyness ! - and you still find time to be creative. Well done :)

Unknown said...

Sometimes out of chaos comes creativity, but not always:)

I tell myself it's highly organised!

Unknown said...

What are you doing here? Get to it woman - time is money, money buys socks for lover.

Unknown said...

Hmm, deadlines are hairy monsters in smelly pyjamas - the best thing about them is if you laugh in their face they curl up and die. (Oh lord, too much hot chocolate, again.)

apprentice said...

What to buy him? I got mine one of the smaller i-pods and he loves it, though I'm left with recharging it etc for him.

Good luck with many things you have on your plate. Maybe you could swap them all out for the day and give yourself a free day, and offer to return the fsavour another day.

Jon M said...

Send him on a yoga weekend to Clare Island...Or maybe just send him to Clare Island! :-)

Unknown said...

One of these days I will arise and go now to an island of my own choosing... but first I have to finish all these bits and pieces that I started!

Good advice jon m!