Thursday, February 15, 2007

North Beach Nights

I'm off to Galway today again to see North Beach Nights monthly Slam, with featured poet Kevin Higgins. Kevin has a fine collection called The Boy With No Face available from Salmon Poetry. There are sample poems on the page featuring his book.

Here's a snippet from a review:
"Upfront, delivered in an informal, conversational manner which delights in its own wry black humour, it is the poetry of the urban twenty-first century, casting a sharply critical eye over the condition of contemporary society." Metre

Kevin has a new collection due out next year called Time Gentlemen, Please! from which tonight's poems will be read. I believe he's off to the US in a week or so to read in the Annual Irish Cultural Festival at Loyola Marymount University on February 21st.

Nice work if you can get it!

There's also a slam feature at North Beach Nights too, and I hope to get in there and get a poem in and hear a few from others. The gig is at BK's Wine Bar, Spanish Parade, Galway City, Adm: €4.00. Full report when I get back, hopefully with pictures this time!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, sounds grand and I'm sure there'll be plenty of craic! Have fun, Barbara!

Jan said...

Look forward to it.
I teach a couple of creative writing classes and recently discovered one guy is from Galway..he has the loveliest voice and Im sure he gets very sick of me ALWAYS asking him to read stuff out...

John said...

Thanks for the tip! Kevin Higgins is very very good. Comparing him to Larkin is far wide of the mark. He's alive, for one thing, and his soul seems to be intact...

I won't say have a good time-no need.

carole said...

The poetry scene in Ireland appears to be very vibrant. I always tell myself that any poetry genes I might have come from my Irish granddad.

Kay Cooke said...

Have fun. BTW congratulations on the poem being read out - that's exciting. (I couldn't download it tho'.) I voted for your blog too. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to hearing about this - you are certainly getting about, Missy!

Unknown said...

John - he was very good indeed and his work seems effortlessly written. I'll be getting some when the CC is a bit more healthy!