Monday, January 22, 2007

How to Read Poetry

Terry Eagleton has begun a new weekly column in the Times. Who is Terry Eagleton, I hear you ask? He's a very lucid writer who writes critical books on literature. I've one or two of his books that helped me out last year, and I just find him so easy to understand, so much so that it actually feels pleasurable.

Anyway, his weekly column is introduced here, How to Read Poetry, and he will be going on to investigate metre, rhyme and lots of other aspects that go into the making of poetry.

I loved his analogy of the window: how prose writers aim to create a window that allows the writer a clear view, whereas a poet is fascinated with the minutiae of how the glass is made up - the actual structure itself.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Rob said...

Thanks for the link. I'd read his Literary Theory a while back, and had seen his recent book about reading poetry in the shops. It sounds as though it might be worth buying.

Unknown said...

Yes, it's going on my to buy list!

Unknown said...

What a brilliant analogy! Wow!

Kay Cooke said...

Thanks for the link! I've spent so long in prose-mode lately I've almost forgotten my first love! ;)

Unknown said...

I got distracted by your new toy on the corner. Meant to say, yes, good idea - learn to read it rather than pick it to pieces!