Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Pressure - pushing down on me...

Ooh, this back-to-school lark never fails to whack me out!

I have deliberately not added up any amounts of money in outgoings to the schools this week as I don't really want to scare myself that badly. That might sound like denial - but hey, it's what got me through six labours, and I'm still here! I'm hoping that by the end of the week, requests for money for 'arts, crafts and photocopying,' swimming lessons, hurling, music lessons, new instruments and various other 'extra-curricular activities' will have faded gently into the thick bottom of a nice glass. Parenthood, don'tcha just love it? Not.

This is the time of the year when newspapers trot out the usual figures about how much a parent will spend on a child's schooling during their school life - and when I am at my most sceptical about those figures. Hub & me reckoned that if the Irish Times really had their figures right this Saturday, we would need three squillion million second mortgages just to get us to the end of number six's primary education. I really do wonder sometimes what normal parents are buying for their kids? And then I wonder where the papers get their information from and who compiles these figures?

On the launch-of-the-book front, progress is being made, slowly but surely. I got a nice surprise in the local paper last week, well shock really, to see an article about the forthcoming book being launched on the 19th of September - the date wasn't the shock, mind you, it was just seeing it there! I received my own copy of the press release the following day. Postal system playing up again, I guess.

Noel tells me that the books are due back at the printers from the binders this Friday. Trouble is that he's away for a well earned break doing what he does best - storytelling, and I won't be able to physically see/feel/smell/ the book until he comes back and posts me a copy... I really can't wait to see it!!!

6 comments:

Jon M said...

Oh the anticipation. You have my sympathies on the school costs! I thought it was bad enough with four and then they want food aswell, the nerve! :-)

Debi said...

Oh shit! Are we supposed to feed them???

Really excited re book launch. You must post the details on Bookarazzi.

apprentice said...

Ah I'm almosst through all that -Saturday I take him to the halls at uni! My years of putting his packed lunch in a road map didn't work!

Exciting times for you. Look forward to more updates.

Unknown said...

Dead righ jon m - and they live here bill free, I ask you!

Will do that Debi, good thinking!

I can't wait Apprentice - it'll be so exciting when they're all off doing interesting courses and getting where they want to be... after we sell the house and go live in a cardboard box in t'middle of t'road :)

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

The cost of having some peace back in the house while they are gone during the day... however, the cost gets higher and higher every year.

Glad you'll have some peace! At least a little.

I wish you absolutely the very best with your new book and hope it's bigger than Harry Potter!

HUGS!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Unknown said...

With support like that Scarlett, you might just be right :), thanks foryour kind words!