Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Holy Dickens, Batman!

Today is day ten of my new healthy non-smoking persona, but it’s really not being made any easier by the struggle I’m having with an essay I’m currently oxter-deep in.

Mr Dickens does write exceedingly long books, and the case of Dombey and Son, is no exception. I’ve been rereading and writing so much now, that when it comes to putting the actual essay together, I find I have to make a conscious effort not to write in his style!

That is not to say that I don’t enjoy writing the essays, it’s just that I become so involved and enmired that I can’t quite surface. Indeed I think it’s a little like reading a really good book. There’s that sadness at the end when you finish it, because you know that you haven’t long left to inhabit that imagined world any more.

Other exciting news: received a postcard from distant cousins in France today, wishing us a Happy New Year and hoping for a ‘rencontre’ with some of us during this year. I think it might be good idea, as Tante Denise is now 95, and I really don’t think we should let things go any longer. A tentative plan is in place for another Parisian trip in March or April.

I really enjoyed Paris in November despite all tribulations. I really want to show Paris to my husband as I feel I know it so well (having been there twice before!). It has such a compact city centre, with great public transport and the buildings and the museums – well, what can I say? Go and see for yourself! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Messalina said...

You think you have it bad? Wait until you're really deep into AA316 territory and have started posting to the conference using the voice of the authors - it's scary! ;o)