Friday, November 20, 2009

List Making

We are making lists here in Barbara-land. Ones that decide whether certain people have been naughty or nice, as well as ones that make fine promises about culinary standards that need to be addressed for the Yule season (whether to use Jamie's turkey treatment, or the stuffing as per the recipe on the back of the stuffing bag last year) - as well as outer rings of lists that orbit around the inner lists in a sort of black-hole-singularity kind of way (see, I've been reading the blogs tonight and paying attenshun).

So, I wondered: what goes on your lists for Christmas? Do you make lists of things that have to be done, or is it more a mental checklist (because you now know exactly what those lists should contain (besides socks and jocks))?

Do you worry about your lists; do you make a master-list of lists; and, more to the point, what happens when you start to list under the lists that you've made...?

Here's one thing that's going on my list: wasabi!

7 comments:

Dominic Rivron said...

I'm a list maker. Towards Christmas, it's usually work-related things I'd forget about if I didn't list them!

Without a list, I simply live in the present and wake up in a cold sweat remembering things I should have done two weeks before. I've yet to make a list of lists I've got to make - but it's not a bad idea, come to think of it...

Rachel Fox said...

I do a list of who's getting what as a present and that's about it. The food shopping is very random...but then I don't have to feed as many as you!
x

Totalfeckineejit said...

WASABI! Bless you.

WV. comye

Dick said...

Lists here too, scores of them, overlapping, duplicating, replacing. Then just before Christmas we dump the lot in the recycling bin and wing it.

Rachel Fenton said...

I used to make lists (probably should still - just seen Dominic top of comments list and I've been meaning to visit him for yonks!), but I stopped when the list making began to consume the time I had for doing any of the things I had made a note of on the lists. Plus I always forgot to take the things when I went anywhere, so they were pretty much just a long queue of I told you sos when I got back in! And when I put all my things to remember on a paper, I let my brain idle: it felt like I was inviting senility. Life's slower and less stressed without lists. Priorities organise themselves. Got rid of my watch and tv about the same time I stopped making lists, too.

Group 8 said...

Lists??!! I make spreadsheets! To keep track of pressies needed, money spent, food to be eaten. I have a list fetish. (Fest-ish?!)

Unknown said...

Spreadsheets, N? Somehow that doesn't surprise me, O goddess of organized!

Rachel, I love that idea of them being I told you sos, when you get back!

TFE, enigmatic as usual ;)

Dick, that's pretty much what happens here too. Lists go under in favour of freedom! You can be too organised sometimes!

T'other Rachel, food shopping is also random - apart from the obvious, like the turkey and ham. Once I have them and the dreadful sprouts, I'm happy. It's the trimmings I like to think about :)

Dom, I keep things to remember on the phone. If I don't, they don't happen - like where I'm supposed to be tomorrow evening...