Thursday, January 03, 2008

Shh! Writer at Work!

I wish I could find one of those amusing red triangle road signs to accompany this post and to park outside the bedroom door - it's bedlam here as I try to work on one of the many projects I'm supposed to hand up in about three weeks.

There were some kids hanging out of light fittings (voluntarily, I add) a few moments ago - at least that's what it sounded like. And I also heard some crashing a while back. Good job I have some cover-all music going in the background, or I might hear more things I don't want to hear!

See, I had this idea about objects, a big mountain and, well, snow and cold and wind - a bit like it was outside earlier, only way colder - anyhow, I thought I'd throw in the extra handicap of writing all of these things into sonnets.

Oh yes. If you're going to do something, may as well make it real hard. Real hard. So why not set yourself a goal - say, ten sonnets? Five down, and five to go... by Sunday!

Oh - and make them rhyme as well - why not the whole kit and kiboodle, while you're at it... I know - I should really write them with handcuffed wrists behind my back whilst whistling Dixie... hasn't someone done that before...?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Plug all interrupting children into light bulbs - bound and gagged until you are finished. I have found a tazer to be useful for those 'where's my clean shirt' moments.

belle said...

I know, I know, why not make every line start with the same letter? Oooh then you could make every line end with the same letter too?? That would be hard ... ;o)

Unknown said...

I know minx, my best friend has offered to buy me a cattle prod for my next birthday - can't think why...?

Belle - you could be on to something there... ;?

Kay Cooke said...

How you manage to do all you do - and so very very well - amazes - simply amazes - me. All the best for another exciting year ahead (can you stand it though?) :)

Jon M said...

Sonnets? Like there was an old man from Nantucket...? (cultured me)
Turn the music up and goodest luck!

Unknown said...

CB - how I manage to do anything at all amazes me -no, really it does!

Yes Jon - I owe it all to music - it's a great cover-all - at the mo, I'm listening to UFOrb... keeping me nicely zoned in (or out, depending on what way you view things)...

Anonymous said...

Writing or attempting to write ten sonnets is what distinguishes a real poet from a dabbler like me who finds it hard to write one poem a week.

S. Kearney said...

What you could do is incorporate the sizzling sounds (light fittings), crashes, etc, into the sonnets! lol I hope your 20080 has started well, B. :-)

apprentice said...

Yikes. Maybe one sonnet for each wee fecker and four for you and your sanity.

I think industrial ear muffs are caled for.

Unknown said...

Shameless, that's a thought alright!

Apprentice - industrial ear muffs - I like the sounds of those- or those headphones that cancel out the noise around you...